The OVO Energy Tour of Britain visited Barrow in Furness on Friday 7th September for the very first time, as Stage 6 of the 2018 race started in Cumbria's second largest town. As one of the sponsors of the event, Barrow BID were proud to be part of the team that ensured the Tour of Britain came to Barrow and put us on the World Map.
Although BAE Systems were the main sponsor of the stage, Barrow BID partnered with Barrow Borough Council to ensure the Tour of Britain stage started in Barrow in Furness as we felt the event would have four major impacts on the town centre.
- The event would be well supported on the day and visitors to the town would visit the town and spend money in local businesses. Some visitors would also stay over on Thursday or Friday night, meaning an increased spend in hotels and night time economy businesses.
- The exposure for the town on mainstream TV and other National media would showcase Barrow in a good light and promote the town as a destination for shopping, day visitors and tourists.
- The event would instil a sense of pride in local residents and business owners.
- The event would show that Barrow is capable of hosting a large event and that local people will come out to support the event.
What did Barrow BID do to add value to the Tour of Britain?
Barrow BID were one of the partners on the Tour of Britain Start Group, which was put in place to add value to the event.
Barrow BID were instrumental in the following activities and initiatives:
- Setting up a Visit Barrow Facebook page
This Facebook page was used to promote the Tour of Britain and all activities taking place in the lead up to the event and on the day of the event. The page will be used in the future to promote any events in the Borough of Barrow in Furness.
- Setting up a Visit Barrow Website
The new website focused on the Tour of Britain coming to the town, with pages about the route, where to watch, the fanzone and activities before and during the event. The website also focused on places to stay, visit, eat and drink within the town centre.
- Organised a Barrow BID Fanzone with Large Screen TV
Our major concern with the Tour of Britain event was that the cyclists would set off at 11am and leave the town, meaning visitors would disperse and not stay in the town centre. We came up with the idea of a Fanzone which would show the entire stage of the Tour of Britain on a large screen TV in the town centre. The screen was located at the bottom of Dalton Rd next to Abbey Rd, so that people at the Fanzone could watch the riders pass, before enjoying refreshments from businesses in the area. Signs were created to direct people from the Town Hall, through town to the Fanzone, thus creating movement through the town centre.
- Promoted the day and Barrow as a visitor destination with a tri-fold leaflet
1000 tri-fold leaflets were designed and printed to promote the day and the town to future visitors. The leaflet was distributed at the Wheely Good Party at the Dock Museum and throughout the day of the Tour of Britain stage 6.
Some Images from the Barrow BID Fanzone
Was the Tour of Britain a success for your Business?
We are running a Facebook poll to find out if the Tour of Britain had a postive or negative affect on your business. So pop over to www.facebook.com/BarrowBIDCompany find the poll, have a vote and leave a comment.